Immers-ED: A Design Approach to Problem Solving
Who it is for
If you are:
• Pursuing or have completed an undergraduate degree or higher
• Interested in the Design-thinking process, Data Science, Social Sciences and/or Entrepreneurship
• Comfortable with working and learning online
• Able to dedicate 3 to 4 hours a day (5 days a week) for 4 weeks (only includes direct teacher-student engagements; mentor-student team discussions excluded; student’s self-learning and team-work beyond direct engagement hours excluded)
What you will learn
During the course, you will
• Understand complex problems in a community
• Create user-centered concepts
• Create user-centered prototypes
• Evaluate teamwork
• Create pitch presentations
• Conduct focused interviews for complex issues
• Use concepts from disciplines of Data Science, Social Sciences and Entrepreneurship to create entrepreneurial solutions
• Set and work on personal learning goals
I want to know more
Who will facilitate the course
Prateek Raj Neupane is an Assistant Professor at King’s College and Lab Master at DoLAB. He is involved in teaching courses and concepts like leadership, entrepreneurial mindset, design thinking, service design, human-centered design, creativity, and innovation. He has been trained as a Lab Master in the Oamk LABs at Oulu University of Applied Sciences, Finland.
What it is about
Immers-ED is our philosophy of ‘Community as Curriculum’ brought to life. You will go through the process of understanding the issues of a community, dive deeper and generate ideas to solve these issues in an interdisciplinary team. The outcome will be an evidence-based and community validated entrepreneurial prototype that can be immediately turned into a venture if you want.
The process is designed by DoLAB and is based on the principles of design thinking, human centered design, service design and lean start-up. The process will be supported by interactions with the community and backed by existing knowledge. You will decide, as a team, what to do, why you want to do it and how you will do it.
Combining disciplines – Entrepreneurship, Data Science and Social Sciences
You will learn concepts from Entrepreneurship, Data Science and Social Sciences, but the whole idea is that you will be using the knowledge gained from these disciplines to solve a real problem in a community. You will be “doing” and reflecting a lot and supported by facilitators in order to internalize the tools and concepts. We will focus less on teaching the tools from these disciplines, instead focusing more on you applying them to your community project.
An intense four-week program
The process is a replication of the journey of an actual entrepreneur and it will require your full commitment. We believe in self-directed learning and collaboration, hence, if you are committed to your idea and your team, you will have a user-validated and refined prototype. You will interact with experts across disciplines from academia, industry and community to make informed decisions about your project.